I can’t believe that Kemett is already 11 months! I have been thinking about life a year ago. We were anticipating Kemett’s arrival by getting his room ready, washing baby clothes and cloth diapers, and nesting. We were resting and watching the Sopranos (Kemett’s favorite show :-)). We were ready for whatever life was about to hand to us, and I’m so happy we were prepared with an open mind. During those long days spent in NICU, all I did was think about that room we had made for him and those cloth diapers I wanted to put on him (I was so tired of leaks and blowouts in disposables in the nicu), at home. I just wanted to be home, away from the strangers, the wires and cords, and separation from Kemett. We wanted to be able to sit on the couch, watch football, and hold our baby while he slept. ( Although, Kemett had a great view of the stadium and tower from his bed, it still wasn’t the same.) We wanted the comforts of home; to build our family and get to know Kemett in our own way. We were lucky to only spend 3 weeks in NICU. We were lucky we could take Kemett home. I envy those with easy deliveries and who get to take their babies home, but I wouldn’t change our experience for anything in the world.
Here are some highlights from this month:
- Kemett weighs 18 lbs 6.5 oz and is 29 inches long!
- Kemett can sit up straight and get into a crawling position.
- He got his 7th and 8th teeth!
- He had his second sleep study (they do one 6 months after being on growth hormones).
- We visited his Nanny at the LBJ Library to see their 60’s exhibit. Kemett is ready to read the Feminist Mystique.
- He got a pair of Sure Steps (ankle foot orthotics) and his first two pairs of shoes!
- We participated in his first 4th of July Parade in Belterra.
- We had Louisiana family in town visiting, my dad’s brother, Uncle Ricky! This meant we ate very well for that week!
- Kemett is eating more chunks.
- Kemett sat in the tub independently
- Kemett swung in a swing for the first time
- AND he rode in a shopping cart for the first time!
Next month I will have more medical updates. He is seeing a lot of doctors, including Dr. Miller again and Dr. Scheimann. I also look forward to talking about all of Kemett’s accomplishments this year.
Remember, One SMALL Step Dripping Springs is on September 13! Visit our personal fundraising page for more info: http://onesmallstep.fpwr.org/dw/users/mdemand/DrippingSprings2014