I have had people ask over the month for a “How we can help” list. One friend put it in a nice way, “How to be a good friend to a family with a child with PWS” (ok it had another name but I had to adapt it.) So here we go:
- Call, text, email, facebook message: It is always appreciated to hear from friends just asking how we are doing- both about Kemett and just about ourselves. Sometimes we may not realize we haven’t reached out in a while. It is a wonderful feeling to catch up with a friend, even if its a few minutes.
- Ask Questions: I hope what you have figured out from this month is that Andrew and I are not afraid of questions about Kemett. We’d rather you ask a question!
- Give us a heads up: If you are going to have a party, just let us know the food situation and timing of things. We just would hate to show up and be thrown off (although we are good at being flexible when needed).
- Be inclusive: When possible, we appreciate people making an effort to be inclusive of Kemett. On the same hand, please let us know how we can be inclusive of your family. It’s not all about us!
- Share blog posts and facebook posts: The only way we can educate is by people sharing information on PWS, research, your point of view, or our family.
- Walk with us: This could be in person or virtually! Our walk will be on October 10th, and we hope that you will join us (it’s free to attend) and support Kemett and his friends!
- Donate: Your time, services, in kind items or financially to our One Small Step Walk!
- Never feed Kemett– We will bring food for Kemett or know what you have before we come. Since Kemett’s diet is so strict, we ask that you never offer Kemett food outside of what we have for him and his feeding times.
- Please follow our “rules”– These were in another post, but we would be happy to resend them if you just ask!
Thank you so much for all of your support!